Fine Arts 101
‘Essential skills for the successful artist.’
The aim of this course is to give young artists the opportunity to develop their own artistic‘voice’ by improving their understanding and skill in a variety of art forms, techniques and compositional devices. Program focuses on ‘essential skills for the successful artist’. This program of art practice is for everyone who enjoys, and wants to develop their Artistic skills and explore some different styles and compositional devices in painting and drawing. Course participants will engage in a variety of skills based activities designed to develop their individual artistic voice in creating original artwork. The theme for all activities is “Learning to See – Essential Skills and Techniques” (week one) and “Learning to Create by Looking at Art” (week two).
- Explore creative options using the elements of art and principles of design
- Looking at art and how various artists explore and express their ideas
- Drawing from observation, including an excursion to an Istanbul museum to sketch exhibited artifacts; studio based figure drawing with an artist’s model and studio based still life sketching
- Visiting a local gallery for inspiration and creative ideas
- Create original artworks that employ various compositional devices in both representational and non representational art including collage, abstraction and the use of repetitive motif
- Using Art critique – giving (and receiving) constructive criticism of art work as a tool for learning
- Curate an exhibition of original works
Essential Questions of the Course
- What are the Elements of Art and Principles of Design?
- How can I make effective use of Design principles in my artwork?
- What are some compositional devices I can use in my own work?
- How can I use constructive criticism for my own artistic development?
Expected student outcomes at the end of the course participants will have :
- Created a personal portfolio that demonstrates:-
- Artistic practice in essential skills, techniques and compositional devices
- Evidence of individual art practice in developing personal creative ideas
- Curated an exhibition of personal work
- Understand how critique enables personal artistic development
Sibling / Alumni Discount
* Alumni or Sibling discount applies to all registered siblings.